Monday, September 20, 2010

retro speaker redo



Been kicking around this idea for awhile --- convert a retro speaker cabinet into a sound system for my iPod. Finally found something pretty cool at Goodwill for $3 to start the project.

In the process I learned a few things about what makes a good speaker. And that its more complicated than you might think.

Before


Did a ton of research and realized that I needed a small amp because the power coming out of the iPod is not enough. Considered taking a set of externally powered computer speakers and gutting them and putting the parts into this retro box, but wanted something a little more powerful for the bucks---- I could get 5watts per channel from a set of computer speakers for about $40.

In the end I bought:
  • 2 speakers at $11 each link
  • 1 small amp capable of 15 watts per channel $20 link 
  • power cable from ebay $12
I also bought a soldering tool and some silver solder cause someone on a forum said it conducted sound better, I have no idea.

Hooked everything up out of the enclosure and it worked. Cool. The amp has a mounted jack for the power and for audio input.

Next, I got some 1/4" MDF from Home Depot and cut it to size. Cut out the holes for the speaker slots as well as the volume knob. Tip: paint the front board black so the speakers don't show through. I had everything done before noticing two black circles under the speaker cloth. I reused my cloth because I noticed it selling for around $30 a yard online and it was in fine condition.

Everything is now installed. There are two wires coming out of the back, one for power one that goes to the iPhone. The sound is really good and its plenty loud for what it is. Could I hold a dance party in an auditorium? Nope, but it fills up the room. Bass isn't strong because of the small 3" drivers but I'm happy with it. Makes me want to tackle other audio projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment